NATIONAL ASSEMBLY SECRETARIAT
Islamabad, the 6th January, 2022
49th meeting (in-camera) of the Parliamentary Committee on China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) was held today at 11:00 a.m. in Constitution Room, Parliament House, Islamabad under the Chairmanship of Mr. Sher Ali Arbab, MNA.
2. The Committee was briefed by the Special Assistant to Prime Minister on CPEC Affairs, Additional Secretary, M/o Planning, Development and Special Initiatives, Additional Secretary, Ministry of Defence, Additional Secretary, Ministry of Interior, Commandant, Special Protection Unit, Punjab Police and Commandant, Special Combat Unit, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Police regarding single point agenda on the security of CPEC.
3. Hon. Chairman remarked that given the importance of economic stability, we have to pursue the policy of geo-economics by now onwards. Pakistan, in this day and age, direly needs investments and businesses to flourish under CPEC. Undoubtedly, the goals envisaged under CPEC inevitably hinge upon the security of CPEC by which we can boost the confidence of investors and attract massive investments in Pakistan. He added ensuring robust security of CPEC is of vital importance, therefore, all the quarters concerned need to eliminate bottlenecks pertaining to the security of CPEC and ensure that CPEC culminates in the attainment of desired results.
4. Additional Secretary, Ministry of Interior apprised after the outbreak of Dasu attack, Government of Pakistan had taken comprehensive overview of security, filled the gaps by introducing new initiatives while taking concrete measures to ensure foolproof security of CPEC.
5. The Committee highlighted that SOPs for security personnel at various check-posts especially in Balochistan could be re-evaluated. The confidence of locals over State institutions and their ownership for CPEC is mandatory to achieve the fruits of this flagship project. We need to build the trust of local people by protecting their honour and dignity, apprising them of the benefits of shared development resulting from CPEC, empowering them economically while ensuring security.
6. The Committee decided that in continuation of this meeting, another meeting would also be convened next week on single point agenda regarding security of CPEC and also undertake visit of the new initiatives taken by the Ministry of Interior for on the security of CPEC.
7. The meeting was attended by Mr. Noor Alam Khan, MNA, Umar Aslam Khan, MNA, Mir Khan Muhammad Jamali, MNA, Ms. Nafeesa Inayatullah Khan Khattak, MNA, Mr. Ghous Bux Khan Mahar, MNA, Mr. Murtaza Javed Abbasi, MNA, Ms. Mehnaz Akber Aziz, MNA, Mr. Zahid Akram Durrani, MNA, and Mr. Muhammad Aslam Bhootani, MNA.