Last Updated On: 23rd January 2020, 03:29 PM
Home | Feedback | Advertisments | Careers | Downloads | Useful Links | FAQs | Contact Us 
The National Assembly Session has been prorogued on Wednesday, the 15th January, 2020 Committee Meetings:10:30 AM: 9th meeting of the SC on States and Frontier Regions (SAFRON) at Committee Room No.7 | 10:30 AM: The 16th meeting (in-camera) and visit of the Parliamentary Committee on China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) at Pasni Fish Harbor | 11:00 AM: Meetings of the Sub-Committee-IV of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) (Cancelled) at Committee Room No. 2 | 11:00 AM: Meeting of the Standing Committee on Finance, Revenue and Economic Affairs at karachi | 02:00 PM: 6th Meeting of the Standing Committee on Defence Production (Revised) at Conference Room of Directorate General Defence Purchase (DGDP), M/o Defence Production, Pak Sectt. No. II, Saddar, Rawalpindi | 02:00 PM: Meeting of the Public Accounts Committee (Revised) at Committee Room No.2 | 02:30 PM: Climate Change at Committee Room No. 7 |
Share Print
Back Button

 

BRIEF HISTORY OF PARLIAMENT HOUSES IN PAKISTAN


Old Sindh Assembly Building, Karachi

The Parliament of Pakistan - viz the Constituent Assembly of Pakistan - met on August 10, 1947 in the old Sindh Assembly Building at Karachi. Quaid-i-Azam Mohammed Ali Jinnah, the founder of Pakistan, was elected as its first President. It was in this venue that the Objectives Resolution, which now serves as the grund norm of Pakistan, was passed. In 1956, the first Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan was adopted in Karachi at the same Sindh Assembly building which also passed as the Parliament of Pakistan


After the adoption of the Second Constitution of 1962, Parliament sessions were arranged both at Dhaka and a newly constructed building (Ayub Hall) at Rawalpindi. The Parliament was uni-cameral. At the first session of the Parliament at the Ayub Hall, the Martial Law, imposed in 1958, was revoked. Later, in October, 1966, the Parliament was shifted to Dhaka.









              Ayub Hall, Rawalpindi

Parliament Building Dhaka


From 1972 onward, the State Bank auditorium in Islamabad functioned as the National Assembly of Pakistan. The Interim Constitution of Pakistan was adopted here in April, 1972. It was here that the first bi-cameral legislature of Pakistan was also born after the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan was adopted in 1973. It was again here that the Martial Law, imposed in July, 1977, was revoked on December 30, 1985


State Bank Auditorium, Islamabad



Present Parliament House, Islamabad